Climb Chimborazo Summit 6.268m./20,564 ft
This tour is recommended for experienced climbers who have already acclimatized in Ecuador.
Chimborazo is Ecuador’s highest peak. For many years European climbers thought it was the highest mountain in world. In fact, it is the highest mountain in the world when measured from the center of the Earth. Further, Earth is slightly wider at the Equator, making it the mountain closest to the sun. The first ascent was made by the famous expeditionary Edward Whymper back in 1892, and the mountain has four main summits.
Chimborazo High Camp
5300 m. /17,388 ft.
Chimborazo Climbing Day By Day
Day 1: Chimborazo High Camp
Elevation: 5300 m. /17,388 ft.
- We will drive south from Quito (9,186ft/2.800m) towards the city of Ambato (8,858ft/2,700m) through the Avenue of the Volcanoes for about 4 hours until we get to the Chimborazo`s reserve. There are two options here: Stay at Hermanos Carrel refuge (15,744ft/4,800), where we will have dinner and get some rest until 11 pm. There will be an early light breakfast served just before we get our gear ready and start hiking up. The other option is for an extra cost, we can hike up to (5,300m./17388 ft.) and set up a high camp there. (We are currently using this high camp because the shelter is closed)
Meals: -/ lunch /Dinner
- Accommodation: Overnight in 4-Season Tent
Day 2: Chimborazo Summit
- At midnight, we will start our climb to the top of Ecuador’s highest mountain, Chimborazo, which will take us about 6 to 8 hours. We will get to the top (20564,3ft/6.268m) early in the morning. It is a perfect place for resting and taking pictures of the beautiful Andean surroundings. After some rest, we will start our descent back to the High Camp. It will take us which will take us from 3 to 4 hours. Once in the High Camp, we will pack our belongings and then, we will still need to go down 2 hours to the parking lot, where our transportation will be ready to drive us down to Quito.
Meals: Light breakfast before the ascent and full breakfast after the ascent
- Accommodation: (-)
Services included in the prices:
- Qualified and experienced Ecuadorian local Mountain Guide (ASEGUIM/UIAGM) ratio 2 climbers -1 guide)
- Registration in the System SIB (System Information of Biodiversity )
- Technical mountain equipment (Mountaineering Boots, crampons, ice axe, harness, helmet)
- Land transportation and transfers to Chimborazo
- Accomodation at chimborazo High Camp
- All meals during the hikes and climbs (shown above)
- Personal mountain gear (warm cloths, sleeping bags, sunglasses, head lamp, etc.)
- International flight tickets
- Hotel in Quito
- Insurance of any kind Travel accident and health insurance
- Luggage insurance and trip cancellation
- Other non-specified expenses
What to Bring?
- 1.- Head torch
- 2.- Helmet (includes)
- 3.- Sun Glasses
- 4.- Buff/ Warm cap
- 5.- Backpack
- 6.- First layer
- 7.- Second layer
- 8.-Third layer (Waterproof Windbreaks, Waterproof pants)
- 9.- Mittens/Gloves
- 10.- Harness (Includes)
- 11.- Inside gloves
- 12.- Carabiners (Includes)
- 13.- Thermal pants
- 14.- Ice ax (includes)
- 15.- Dynamic Rope (includes)
- 16.- Thermal Lycra
- 17.- Gaiters (includes)
- 18.- Socks Mountain
- 19.- Crampons (Includes)
- 20.- Mountaineering boots (Includes)
- 21.- Sleeping Bag
- 22.- Battery Groups AAA
- 23.- Sunscreen
- 24.- Trekking Poles
- 25.- Thermo / Canteen fro Water
- 26.- Energy bars
PRICES & PAYMENT
PAYMENT & CANCELLATION
In order to confirm the reservation of any tour service provided by Cotopaxi Travel Company Cia. Ltda. we require a pre-payment of 30% of the tour price. The remainder is to be carried out before climbing tour or travel starts. We will not send confirmations, vouchers or flight tickets until the full balance has been received, and we reserve the right to cancel your trip if full payment is not received prior to the start date.
PRICES, SURCHARGES AND CREDIT CARD CHARGES
All prices we advertise are accurate at the date published/advised, but we reserve the right to change any of those prices prior to booking. Before you make a booking we will give you the up-to-date price of your chosen programme including the cost of any peak-season supplements, upgrades or additional facilities which you have requested.
For all payments made by credit card, a 6% service fee will be added to the cost. The additional costs for every transfer made out to Cotopaxi Travel Company Cia. Ltda. Ecuadorian Taxes and bank transfer fees, will have to be paid by you, the client. We are obligated tu charge 12% IVA for every payment realized by Ecuadorian citizens.
Cancellation by You
Notice of cancellation by you must be given in writing. Should you cancel, the following scale of charges will apply:
- - 30 days or more before the Departure Date = loss of deposit.
- - 29 to 15 days from the start of the trip = 50% of total trip cost
- - Less than 14 days before the Departure Date = loss of 100% of total trip cost,
- unless agreed otherwise with cotopaxi travel due to unforeseen circumstances.
Cancellation by Cotopaxi Travel Company
A trip may be cancelled as a result of unforeseen events and beyond Cotopaxi Travel´s control including but not limited to war, riot, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural Cotopaxi Travel• Calle Guayaquil 6-74 y Sanchez de Orellana- Latacunga - Cotopaxi - Ecuador Terms & Conditions 2 or nuclear disaster, fire, epidemics or health risks, closed or congested airports, ports or stations, changes imposed by re-scheduling or cancellation of transport, adverse weather conditions.
More Info please visit our Terms & Condicitions
Country / Location: Ecuador
In Ecuador you can Climb all year, but these are the seasons
June to August / December to January
February to May / September to November
Ecuador is a fantastic destination that offers plenty of options for travel lovers. In addition to the Andes, Galápagos and Amazon Jungle are also part of this amazing land.
Difficulty: (Experienced) have climbing experience is required. Climbers should be in good physical condition and it is highly recommended that they have some backpacking experience.
Trip-code: Number ► Chimbo2D
Duration: 2 days
Participants: Minimum: 2 Maximum: 12
Mountain Guide / TripAdvisor: Fernando Iza
Other dates / additional info: Contact us!
EZZ - Single room supplement
On this trip, places are still available.
On this trip, only a few places left.
This trip is sold out / closed.
FAQ'S TIPS AND ADVICES
IS NECESSARY PREVIOUS GLACIER EXPERIENCE?
- Having previous glacier experience is not required. We do recommend that you have joined one of our best acclimatization and ascent programs containing instructions and skills that we teach you as previous mountaineering training helps you enjoy the overall experience. Is also important that you try out your mountaineering gear prior to joining this adventure if you don’t have we have for you in our rental equipment shop.
- WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CLIMB COTOPAXI?
- A). In Ecuador you can Climb all year, but these are the seasons
- High Season: June to August / December to January
- Low season: February to May / September to November
- B). Likewise, weather forecasts are very unpredictable. Therefore, we recommend being prepared for all types of weather.
- DO I REALLY NEED RESCUE INSURANCE?
- We strongly urge you to purchase travel and accident insurance. We recommend Global Rescue for both types of insurance.
- IS COTOPAXI A DANGEROUS MOUNTAIN?
- A). Cotopaxi is a relatively safe climb on the routes we climb. The biggest challenges are the high altitude and people not coming physically prepared. Some groups try to ascend too quickly and do not take the time to acclimatize. We do not have this issue because our itinerary has been carefully planned over years of experience working in low oxygen environments.
- ACCLIMATIZATION IS IMPORTANT AND HOW DO I PREPARE FOR HIGH ALTITUDE?
- A). Acclimatization is the most important and should be taken seriously. Even if you are fit and practice any physical activity, it is important to follow the process for a successful climb.
- B). Firstly, there is some very specific training you should be doing. Learn more. Let’s be clear, always pick the itinerary with more acclimatization built in. After that, you need to focus on mapping out a training plan that focuses on strength and endurance. We will pace the trip at lower heart rates so we can perform for longer periods of time. You still need to be comfortable hiking for 6+ hours. We know that building up the weight you carry in your backpack for hours at sea level builds endurance, strength and cardio which stress tests your body for high altitude. We can help you learn more about how to prepare for your high-altitude adventure.
- WHAT KIND OF GEAR, CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- A). We will provide you with a full detailed itemized kit list so that you.
- SAFE TO BRING AND LEAVE OUR BAGS IN THE BASE CAMP?
- A). Yes, you can leave a bag of items not needed in our base camp. You can also leave valuable items in the safe.
- WHAT ROUTE DO WE CLIMB ON?
- A). Depending on the glacial conditions we will follow the safest route to the top. We also leave from the refuge at 4864 m./15,958 ft for all our summit attempts
DO YOU HAVE TRAINING ADVICE?
- A). If you sign up to one of our trips, we can give ongoing advice. We also have training courses in Cotopaxi that you can sign up to.
- CAN I PAY WITH CREDIT CARD?
- A). Yes, you can do it
- Develop a personalized training plan. Mountaineering requires multiple types of training, each focusing on a different need:
- Cardio workouts to improve the overall fitness level of your heart and lungs.
- Interval sessions to boost your ability to process more oxygen with each breath.
- Strength and endurance exercises so you can haul a heavy load and sustain physical output for many hours.
- Balance and flexibility training because you need both for mountaineering.
- Hiking days to extend your training into real-world situations.