Climb Cotopaxi and Chimborazo 5 day
- Climbing Chimborazo Summit in 5-day tour. Chimborazo is Ecuador’s highest peak. For many years European climbers thought it was the highest mountain in world. In fact, it is the highest mountain in the world when measured from the center of the Earth. Further, Earth is slightly wider at the Equator, making it the mountain closest to the sun. The first ascent was made by the famous expeditionary Edward Whymper back in 1892, and the mountain has four main summits.
Cotopaxi Refuge(Jose Ribas)
4864 m../13,779 ft
5897 m./19,347 ft
Baños City Free day
1800 m./5.905 ft
Chimborazo High Camp
5300 m./17,388 ft
Climb program DAY BY DAY
Day 1: Cotopaxi Refuge
Elevation: 4864 m./15,958 ft.
- We will leave Quito early in the morning around 11:30 a.m. and we will drive south along the Avenue of the Volcanoes until we reach the town of El Chaupi. This town is the location of Cotopaxi-Travel’s homebase, there we will prepare all the necessary equipment for the ascent. We will have lunch at Andes Alpes Restaurant, and then we will continue to the entrance of Cotopaxi National Park. From here, we will head east to the Cotopaxi parking lot (14,764ft/4864m) and then we’ll hike for about an hour to the José Ribas Refuge (15,951 ft. / 4862 m.). Then we will have dinner and rest until midnight. At this point we will pack our belongings and get ready to make our ascent.
- Meals: Lunch, dinner
- Accommodation: Cotopaxi Refuge
Day 2: Cotopaxi Summit
Elevation: 5897 m./19,347 ft
- Midnight will be our wake up time and the departure to the top (19,347ft/5897m) will be around 1am, after having a light breakfast and getting our stuff ready for the ascent. At the entrance of the glacier, your guide will explain all necesary tips needed for using crampons and ice axe if needed. The climb will take us about 6 to 8 hours and once at the summit we’ll take our time for pictures of the crater and surroundings, and then we’ll head back down the refuge, which will take us 2 to 3 hours. Once at the refuge we will pack our belongings, have something to eat and go down to the parking lot, where our transportation will be ready to take us to Baños.
- Accommodation: Chimenea Hotel
- Meals: Light breakfast before the ascent and full breakfast after the ascent
Day 3: Baños Cyti Free Day
Elevation: 1800 m./5,905 ft.
- This is a relaxing day; in this beautiful town you can do it different activities that can be purchased on behalf of the passenger. It's a free day its surroundings offer many possibilities like: the route of the waterfalls, hikes inside the “cloud forest”, besides, depending on our interest, with an extra cost, we could try rafting, rock climbing, bungee jumping, mountain biking, horseback riding, etc. Night in hotel.
- Meals: (Breakfast/-/-)
- Accommodation: Chimenea Hotel
Day 4: Chimborazo High Camp
Elevation: 5300 m./17,388 ft
- In the morning at 9:00 am we will meet with the guides to drive to the Chimborazo fauna production reserve. We will arrive at the refuge Hermanos carrel from there we will start the hike to the High camp in approximately 2 to 3 hours we get to camp once here, we will accommodate in our tents. In the afternoon we will prepare and double check all the gear for the climbing. Where we’ll have dinner and get some rest until 23h00. There will be an early light breakfast served just before getting ready with our gear and start heading up.
Accommodation: Overnight in 4-season tents
Day 5: Chimborazo Summit
Elevation:6.268m. /20,702 ft
- At midnight, we will start our climb to the top of Ecuador’s highest mountain, Chimborazo, which will take us about 6 to 8 hours. We will get to the top (20564,3ft/6.268m) early in the morning. It is a perfect place for resting and taking pictures of the beautiful Andean surroundings. After some rest, we will start our descent back to the High Camp. It will take us which will take us from 3 to 4 hours. Once in the High Camp, we will pack our belongings and then, we will still need to go down 2 hours to the parking lot, where our transportation will be ready to drive us down to Quito.
Services included in the tour cost:
- Acclimatization Climbing Program
- Ecuadorian qualified and experienced local Mountain Guide (ASEGUIM/UIAGM) ratio 2 climbers -1 guide)
- A registered and fully licensed Tour Operator
- Technical mountain equipment (crampons, ice axe, harness, helmet)
- Land transportation and transfers
- 1 night at Jose Rivas Refuge
- 2 nights at Chimenea Hotel
- 1 night in tents (Chimborazo High Camp)
- All meals during the hikes and climbs (shown above)
- Porters, tents, and camping utensils for high camp
- International flight tickets
- Meals and drinks in hotels (lunch, dinner)
- Insurance of any kind
- Hotel in Quito
What to Bring?
- 1.- Head torch
- 2.- Helmet (includes)
- 3.- Sun Glasses
- 4.- Buff/ Warm cap
- 5.- Backpack
- 6.- First layer
- 7.- Second layer
- 8.-Third layer (Waterproof Windbreaks, Waterproof pants)
- 9.- Mittens/Gloves
- 10.- Harness (Includes)
- 11.- Inside gloves
- 12.- Carabiners (Includes)
- 13.- Thermal pants
- 14.- Ice ax (includes)
- 15.- Dynamic Rope (includes)
- 16.- Thermal Lycra
- 17.- Gaiters (includes)
- 18.- Socks Mountain
- 19.- Crampons (Includes)
- 20.- Mountaineering boots (Includes)
- 21.- Sleeping Bag
- 22.- Battery Groups AAA
- 23.- Sunscreen
- 24.- Trekking Poles
- 25.- Thermo / Canteen fro Water
- 26.- Energy bars
PRICES & PAYMENT
1 Person.............1380 USD
- Group of 2.......... 690 USD per person
- Group of 3.......... 000USD per person
- Group of 4.......... 000USD per person
PAYMENT & CANCELLATION
In order to confirm the reservation of any tour service provided by Cotopaxi Travel Company Cia. Ltda. we require a pre-payment of 30% of the tour price. The remainder is to be carried out before climbing tour or travel starts. We will not send confirmations, vouchers or flight tickets until the full balance has been received, and we reserve the right to cancel your trip if full payment is not received prior to the start date.
PRICES, SURCHARGES AND CREDIT CARD CHARGES
All prices we advertise are accurate at the date published/advised, but we reserve the right to change any of those prices prior to booking. Before you make a booking we will give you the up-to-date price of your chosen programme including the cost of any peak-season supplements, upgrades or additional facilities which you have requested.
For all payments made by credit card, a 6% service fee will be added to the cost. The additional costs for every transfer made out to Cotopaxi Travel Company Cia. Ltda. Ecuadorian Taxes and bank transfer fees, will have to be paid by you, the client. We are obligated tu charge 12% IVA for every payment realized by Ecuadorian citizens.
Cancellation by You
Notice of cancellation by you must be given in writing. Should you cancel, the following scale of charges will apply:
- - 30 days or more before the Departure Date = loss of deposit.
- - 29 to 15 days from the start of the trip = 50% of total trip cost
- - Less than 14 days before the Departure Date = loss of 100% of total trip cost,
- unless agreed otherwise with cotopaxi travel due to unforeseen circumstances.
Cancellation by Cotopaxi Travel Company
A trip may be cancelled as a result of unforeseen events and beyond Cotopaxi Travel´s control including but not limited to war, riot, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural Cotopaxi Travel• Calle Guayaquil 6-74 y Sanchez de Orellana- Latacunga - Cotopaxi - Ecuador Terms & Conditions 2 or nuclear disaster, fire, epidemics or health risks, closed or congested airports, ports or stations, changes imposed by re-scheduling or cancellation of transport, adverse weather conditions.
More Info please visit our Terms & Condicitions
21-26 July 2022
4-9 August 2022
11-16 August 2022
18-23 August 2022
25-30 August 2022
Other dates / additional info: Contact us!
Country / Location: Ecuador
In Ecuador you can Climb all year, but these are the seasons
June to August / December to January
February to May / September to November
Ecuador is a fantastic destination that offers plenty of options for travel lovers. In addition to the Andes, Galápagos and Amazon Jungle are also part of this amazing land.
Trip-code: Number ►Ec-1981
Minimum: 2 Maximum: 12
Other dates / additional info: Contact us!
EZZ - Single room supplement
On this trip, places are still available.
On this trip, only a few places left.
This trip is sold out / closed.
FAQ'S TIPS AND ADVICES
IS NECESSARY PREVIOUS GLACIER EXPERIENCE?
- Having previous glacier experience is not required. We do recommend that you have joined one of our best acclimatization and ascent programs containing instructions and skills that we teach you as previous mountaineering training helps you enjoy the overall experience. Is also important that you try out your mountaineering gear prior to joining this adventure if you don’t have we have for you in our rental equipment shop.
- WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CLIMB COTOPAXI?
- A). In Ecuador you can Climb all year, but these are the seasons
- High Season: June to August / December to January
- Low season: February to May / September to November
- B). Likewise, weather forecasts are very unpredictable. Therefore, we recommend being prepared for all types of weather.
- DO I REALLY NEED RESCUE INSURANCE?
- We strongly urge you to purchase travel and accident insurance. We recommend Global Rescue for both types of insurance.
- IS COTOPAXI A DANGEROUS MOUNTAIN?
- A). Cotopaxi is a relatively safe climb on the routes we climb. The biggest challenges are the high altitude and people not coming physically prepared. Some groups try to ascend too quickly and do not take the time to acclimatize. We do not have this issue because our itinerary has been carefully planned over years of experience working in low oxygen environments.
- ACCLIMATIZATION IS IMPORTANT AND HOW DO I PREPARE FOR HIGH ALTITUDE?
- A). Acclimatization is the most important and should be taken seriously. Even if you are fit and practice any physical activity, it is important to follow the process for a successful climb.
- B). Firstly, there is some very specific training you should be doing. Learn more. Let’s be clear, always pick the itinerary with more acclimatization built in. After that, you need to focus on mapping out a training plan that focuses on strength and endurance. We will pace the trip at lower heart rates so we can perform for longer periods of time. You still need to be comfortable hiking for 6+ hours. We know that building up the weight you carry in your backpack for hours at sea level builds endurance, strength and cardio which stress tests your body for high altitude. We can help you learn more about how to prepare for your high-altitude adventure.
- WHAT KIND OF GEAR, CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- A). We will provide you with a full detailed itemized kit list so that you.
- SAFE TO BRING AND LEAVE OUR BAGS IN THE BASE CAMP?
- A). Yes, you can leave a bag of items not needed in our base camp. You can also leave valuable items in the safe.
- WHAT ROUTE DO WE CLIMB ON?
- A). Depending on the glacial conditions we will follow the safest route to the top. We also leave from the refuge at 4864 m./15,958 ft for all our summit attempts
DO YOU HAVE TRAINING ADVICE?
- A). If you sign up to one of our trips, we can give ongoing advice. We also have training courses in Cotopaxi that you can sign up to.
- CAN I PAY WITH CREDIT CARD?
- A). Yes, you can do it
- Develop a personalized training plan. Mountaineering requires multiple types of training, each focusing on a different need:
- Cardio workouts to improve the overall fitness level of your heart and lungs.
- Interval sessions to boost your ability to process more oxygen with each breath.
- Strength and endurance exercises so you can haul a heavy load and sustain physical output for many hours.
- Balance and flexibility training because you need both for mountaineering.
- Hiking days to extend your training into real-world situations.