Cotopaxi - 3 peaks in 4 days
- Climb Corazón 4788m, Iliniza Norte 5126m, and Cotopaxi Volcano 5897m
Cotopaxi is regarded as the most beautiful volcano in the world, as well as one of the most active volcanoes in the world and the second highest volcano in Ecuador. The climb up to the summit of Cotopaxi is not highly technical, but it does require a pre-climb glacier travel course. You will take part in this course the afternoon before the ascent. The course includes the use of crampons, ice axes and ropes. Leaving from the refuge around midnight climbers begin the ascent of the volcano arriving at the top of Cotopaxi after sunrise at 6am. We recommend to you our Acclimatization Packages to ensure that you enjoy your climbing experience
4788m./ 15,708 ft
5126m./ 16,818 ft
5300 m. /17,388 ft.
5897 m./19,347 ft
Chimborazo Climbing Day By Day
Day 1: Corazón Volcano
Elevation: 4788m./ 15,708 ft
- From Quito or Latacunga. We will start early in the morning after breakfast at 7am, we will drive up to the trailhead (13,120ft/4000m) to start our hike. The first part of the hike takes us up through the small Andean grasslands. Next we will get on the sandy scramble section, which leads us to Corazon summit (15,702ft/4788m). We will have lunch during the hike which takes a total of 8 hours. Return to the hostal, dinner and Lodging. (BL/D)
Day 2: Illiniza Northt
Elevation: 5126m./ 16,818 ft
- We start early in the morning and after breakfast at 7:30am we will drive up to the “La Virgen parking lot” (12,795ft/3900m). Once there, we will start a 3-hour hike up to the “Nuevos Horizontes Refuge” (15,580ft/4750m). We will relax for couple of minutes and take the opportunity to put on our helmet and harness to continue hiking up towards the saddle formed between both peaks, then head up to Illiniza north summit. It will take us between 2 to 3 hours to get to the summit (5126m) and the way back to the parking lot it will take us about 2 hours. Drive back to El Chaupi, overnight at the Hostal Andes Alpes. (B/BL/D)
Day 3: Cotopaxi Refuge
Elevation: 5300 m. /17,388 ft
- From El Chaupi we will drive south through the Avenue of the Volcanoes until the Cotopaxi National Park entrance. From here we will drive east to the Cotopaxi parking lot (4500m) then hike for around an hour to the Jose Ribas Refuge (4864m). In the afternoon we’ll head up to the glacier for ice training. We’ll learn some basic techniques which include how to handle climbing equipment (crampons, ice axe, rope, etc). We’ll then go back to the Refuge for dinner and rest (B/BL/D).
Day 4:Cotopaxi Summit
Elevation: 5897 m./19,347 ft
- Midnight will be our wake up time and the departure to the top (19,347ft/5897m) will be around 1am, after having a light breakfast and getting our stuff ready for the ascent. The climb will take us about 6 to 8 hours and once at the summit we’ll take our time for pictures of the crater and surroundings, and then we’ll head back down the refuge, which will take us 2 to 3 hours. Once at the refuge we will pack our belongings, have something to eat and go down to the parking lot, where our transportation will be ready to take us back to Quito (9,186ft/2800m). Overnight in the hotel. (D)
Services included in the prices:
- Ecuadorian qualified and experienced local Mountain Guide (ASEGUIM/UIAGM) ratio 2 climbers -1 guide)
- Registration in the System SIB (System Information of Biodiversity )
- Technical mountain equipment (Mountaineering Boots, crampons, ice axe, harness, helmet)
- Private transportation to the whole tour
- Hostal Andes Alpes 2 nights
- Cotopaxi Refuge
- All meals during the hikes and climbs (shown above with B: Breakfast, BL: Box lunch and D: Dinner)
- Personal mountain gear (warm cloths, sleeping bags, sunglasses, head lamp, etc.)
- International flight tickets
- Hotel in Quito
- Insurance of any kind Travel accident and health insurance
- Luggage insurance and trip cancellation
- Other non-specified expenses
What to Bring?
- 1.- Head torch
- 2.- Helmet (includes)
- 3.- Sun Glasses
- 4.- Buff/ Warm cap
- 5.- Backpack
- 6.- First layer
- 7.- Second layer
- 8.-Third layer (Waterproof Windbreaks, Waterproof pants)
- 9.- Mittens/Gloves
- 10.- Harness (Includes)
- 11.- Inside gloves
- 12.- Carabiners (Includes)
- 13.- Thermal pants
- 14.- Ice ax (includes)
- 15.- Dynamic Rope (includes)
- 16.- Thermal Lycra
- 17.- Gaiters (includes)
- 18.- Socks Mountain
- 19.- Crampons (Includes)
- 20.- Mountaineering boots (Includes)
- 21.- Sleeping Bag
- 22.- Battery Groups AAA
- 23.- Sunscreen
- 24.- Trekking Poles
- 25.- Thermo / Canteen fro Water
- 26.- Energy bars
PRICES & PAYMENT
PAYMENT & CANCELLATION
In order to confirm the reservation of any tour service provided by Cotopaxi Travel Company Cia. Ltda. we require a pre-payment of 30% of the tour price. The remainder is to be carried out before climbing tour or travel starts. We will not send confirmations, vouchers or flight tickets until the full balance has been received, and we reserve the right to cancel your trip if full payment is not received prior to the start date.
PRICES, SURCHARGES AND CREDIT CARD CHARGES
All prices we advertise are accurate at the date published/advised, but we reserve the right to change any of those prices prior to booking. Before you make a booking we will give you the up-to-date price of your chosen programme including the cost of any peak-season supplements, upgrades or additional facilities which you have requested.
For all payments made by credit card, a 6% service fee will be added to the cost. The additional costs for every transfer made out to Cotopaxi Travel Company Cia. Ltda. Ecuadorian Taxes and bank transfer fees, will have to be paid by you, the client. We are obligated tu charge 12% IVA for every payment realized by Ecuadorian citizens.
Cancellation by You
Notice of cancellation by you must be given in writing. Should you cancel, the following scale of charges will apply:
- - 30 days or more before the Departure Date = loss of deposit.
- - 29 to 15 days from the start of the trip = 50% of total trip cost
- - Less than 14 days before the Departure Date = loss of 100% of total trip cost,
- unless agreed otherwise with cotopaxi travel due to unforeseen circumstances.
Cancellation by Cotopaxi Travel Company
A trip may be cancelled as a result of unforeseen events and beyond Cotopaxi Travel´s control including but not limited to war, riot, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural Cotopaxi Travel• Calle Guayaquil 6-74 y Sanchez de Orellana- Latacunga - Cotopaxi - Ecuador Terms & Conditions 2 or nuclear disaster, fire, epidemics or health risks, closed or congested airports, ports or stations, changes imposed by re-scheduling or cancellation of transport, adverse weather conditions.
More Info please visit our Terms & Condicitions
Country / Location: Ecuador
In Ecuador you can Climb all year, but these are the seasons
June to August / December to January
February to May / September to November
Ecuador is a fantastic destination that offers plenty of options for travel lovers. In addition to the Andes, Galápagos and Amazon Jungle are also part of this amazing land.
Difficulty: (Experienced) have climbing experience is required. Climbers should be in good physical condition and it is highly recommended that they have some backpacking experience.
Trip-code: Number ► Chimbo2D
Duration: 2 days
Participants: Minimum: 2 Maximum: 12
Mountain Guide / TripAdvisor: Fernando Iza
Other dates / additional info: Contact us!
EZZ - Single room supplement
On this trip, places are still available.
On this trip, only a few places left.
This trip is sold out / closed.